Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2010/07/13

How to overcome my fear.

When I was on maternity leave and my daughter was 2 weeks old 4 men tried to break into the house, they threatened me with my life and I was terrified for my life and for my daughters life, Thank heavens Help came just in time and neither my daughter or myself were harmed.

Now daughter is now 2 and I am unable to get to over this incident!I am terrified to stay at home alone and when I do have to stay alone in the evenings by myself even just for a little while i work myself up into such a state that I hear all sorts of noises and am a nervous wreak!

You see when I was living in the house that was broken into some nights when i would be awake in the early hours of the mornings feeding her I would always have a very nervous uneasy feeling and I always had a feeling that one day something bad would happen at that house and almost exactly how i thought it would. Everything was the same, How i saw the people, how they tried to get in ect the only diffrence was in my thoughts I was not alone but on the day I was.

I please need your advice how to work with through this and over come this!I am tired of living with this fear all the time! And at the end of August the person i live with will be going away for two weeks and i have no option but to stay alone!And i would also like to be able to live on my own one day! And since i know it is getting closer i am starting to dream about it again and im starting to feel the fear i normally feel when I am alone.

Apart from PTSD itself ( which is a possibility here ) there are a variety of other problems which follow such trauma, in us ordinary folks. You need a proper assessment by a suitably skilled specialist shrink, and treatment based on whatever diagnosis is made. Counsellng of some sorts helps ( CBT and some variants specifically aimed at trauma ) and so can some meds otherwise also used for depression.
With such assistance you can definitely master these fears and regain comfort and confidence in living alone. Your story is a reminder that material stuff is not the only or even the most valuable thing that such thieves steal from us.

1