Question
Posted by: CJ | 2008/09/29

How to monitor weight loss/gain?

What is the best way to monitor your weight?

I find that my weight varies wildly every time I weigh myself on the scale (I somehow gain 1kg in 20 minutes), so I tend not to weigh myself often as it' s too stressful. But when you' re trying to lose weight, you need motivation and also to see how well your approach is working!

Some people say don' t worry to weigh, you' ll notice it in your clothes - but over the last few months I' ve picked up 6kg and everything still fits fine!

I' m now trying to measure myself at strategic points - but it' s not very reliable, as it' s difficult to make sure that the tape measure is measuring at exactly the same place each time.

I feel it would be easier for me to lose (or at least maintain) weight if I could have a reliable way of telling what my weight is!

(And a second question: my BMI is way too high, but my WHR is .82 - doesn' t that seem odd?)

Dear CJ
I would recommend that you buy a high quality electronic scale and only weigh yourself once a week at the same time, for example on Monday mornings on rising, but after urinating. Do not weigh yourself over and over or every day, as body weight can vary by up to 3 kg per day and from day to day depending on factors like hormone levels, salt intake, excessive water intake, electrolyte imbalances, circadian rhythms, etc. It is a good idea to take your vital measurements once a week and keep a record if you are losing cm - with time and practice your measurements will become more accurate, or ask someone else to measure you. I cannot comment about your WHR as you don't mention what your BMI actually is.