Question

How to manage cardio

Ive started going to the gym, I manage to do 5 minutes cycling
about 30 minutes weights and another 5 minutes treadmill.

while the weights are a pleasure I battle with Cardio - I just dont
have the energy to go longer than 5 minutes at a time, i get light headed nauses and my legs give in - im not overweight but I know that my muscels wont tone without enough cardio.

what suppliments can I take to get the energy for cardio - I dont think that drinking a redbull before gym is good?

HI there

That's OK, for now. You must start somewhere, and I don't think there's any sense in forcing it when you feel bad. All that will happen is that you'll eventually give up because you hate it so much. So my advice for the cardio is that you rather don't even try to force the 5 minutes. Why not go 2 minutes, and then rest 1 minute. then another 2 minutes, rest 1 minute, and repeat this 3 or 4 times? That would give you about 15 minutes in total, but the rest should allow you to complete it.

Supplements are not the answer here - it's a simple case of stepping back and finding a level that allows your body to adapt. Also, lower the workload. You don't have to jog, for example, rather just walk slowly. And on the bike, you don't have to go at level 5 (for example), rather go at level 3. There's no doubt that you can do cardio, you just have to step down, be patient and give your body the chance to build up. Then it will be fine.

GOod luck

3
Posted by: Gogga | 2008/10/14

Anon, I started in March at the fitness level you describe. And now I can cycle for 30 minutes. Just take it slowly and increase the time a little bit every week, or rest a bit and then continue. And make sure you eat before exercise, your symptoms sound like low blood sugar. You need good carbs to give you energy, like oats porridge for breakfast (or pasta if you exercise in the evening). Don' t take high-sugar energy drinks before exercise but rather afterwards if you need it.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/10/11

Do you eat enough carbs i use to struggle but since following a healthy eating plan (dont cut any food group out) its better. I also go for vitb12 injection which help cause i dont eat red meat and help with energy + vitb co pills which supply my body with the other vitb. Also have a whey protein shake 100ml milk 100ml water directly after training with glutamine.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: peaches | 2008/10/10

been there! the best is to increase by 2 or 3 minutes every week, until you reach 30 to 45 mins of cardio (either treadmill or cycling or rowing or elliptical or even try the tae-bo or aerobics classes) but just increase slightly every week and you' ll soon get stronger and fitter and more " able"  to complete the full session!
good luck!

Reply to peaches