Question
Posted by: apple | 2010-02-08

how to lower the GI of a fruit smoothie

I am insulan resistant and trying to loose weight, so I know I should avoid sugars. I do however like to have a fruit smoothie with loads of fruit during the day, but I am afraid the sugar content of all the fruits will be badf or me. I don' t add any sugar or honey. Just the fruit and some jogurt. What can I add to make it even beter for me? Raw oats or oat bran? And what quantities will I need to add to a glass of smoothie for it to have a positive effect?

Dear Apple
If you stick to using berries, or deciduous fruit (apples, pears, plums, peaches) or citrus fruit, then you will already be using low-GI fruits. The yoghurt will lower the GI even further and keep in mind that some of the sugar in fruit is fructose which has a low-GI. You can add raw oat bran (low-GI), but rather not raw oats (medium-GI). I sense from your questions that you may not yet have consulted a clinical dietitian to help you with a low-fat, low-GI diet. For your own sake do consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you adjust to the low-GI diet because the correct diet and daily exercise are the two most important factors in the treatment of insulin resistance.
Enjoy the smoothies

2
Posted by: X | 2010-02-09

I' m also insulin resistant and doing very well on a diet where I cut out all sugars, starches and even limit fruit to no more than one portion (e.g. a peach or a handful of strawberries) per day. I eat as much meat, fish, eggs, chicken, non-starchy vegetables, nuts, avocado, non-sweetened dairy, oils and fats as I feel like. I would suggest that rather than using oats to lower the GI - add no more than one fruit to your smoothie, and use full cream milk, double cream greek yoghurt or sugar-free (higher fat) ice cream, nuts and nut milk to the smoothie to not only lower the GI but also make it more filling and more slimming.

Reply to X
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-08

Dear Apple
Enjoy the smoothies