Posted by: Mozart | 2009-03-25

How to lose weight

What is the best way for a 25 year old male who is obese to lose weight? Should I start with a detox program, or just start eating according to low-GI guidelines? What pills, if any, would you advice I use? Lastly, what is the correct amount of water to drink per day, some say 8 glasses, others say even more?

Dear Mozart
You do NOT need a detox programme to start your weightloss initiative. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and search for the article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?" to read about the potential dangers of such regimens. So I would recommend just starting with a low-fat, low-GI diet. If you are obese you may find that the use of Xenical tablets will assist to start your weightloss. Xenical prevents the uptake of fat from the diet and has to be used with a very-low-fat diet, which then lowers your energy intake and helps you to lose weight. So discuss this option with your dr. The specification for adults is that we should drink 2,5 litres of liquid a day which need not just be water but can also include tee, rooibos, coffee, milk, sugarless cold drinks, soda water, sparkling water, etc.
Good luck with the weightloss programme