How to know for certain if ovulation occured

Hi Doc,

Please advise. How would one know if certain if ovulation actually occured? Is there a possibility that even after taking Ovidrel, you may not have ovulated?

I recentlyt did a cd21 test, however, I don' t have regular cycles &  my cycle rnages from 33 to 36 days. How can one know then from a cd21 test if ovulation occured? Is there a definite way of finding out?

Dear Anonymous

The only definitive proof of ovulation having occurred in fact is a pregnancy. There are many conditions, which will virtually mimic ovulation, and yet there is no actual release of the egg from the ovary. These condition although rear do play significant role in infertility problems. Conditions such as empty follicle syndrome and luteinized unraptured follicle syndrome are just two of the example of a wide range of conditions. Furthermore there are situations were the egg may be released but due to adhesions around the ovaries (a thin film of tissue surrounding the ovaries /tubes), there may be no entry of the egg into the fallopian tube. In such situations ovulation is regarded as having occurred and all the blood parameters should be confirmatory. In patients with irregular cycles were ovulation needs to be monitored it is advisable to do follicle tracking by means of ultrasound scanning as the first choice. In this way the gynaecologist is able to evaluate the growth of the dominant follicle in the ovary and give you a more accurate idea as to when ovulation is going to occur. Were this is not feasible ovulation monitoring by means of the urine LH testing kits are also valuable but in patients with irregular cycles it may be necessary to use more than one kit back to back. Finally in patients who have used Ovidrel one can expect ovulation to occur between 36-40 hours post injection and if a blood progesterone test is done 7 days later this should shoe confirmatory evidence of ovulation having occurred.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim