Question
Posted by: Sally | 2011-06-08

how to keep going?

i need some advice. i just feel like giving up. i''m so tired and depressed and i just feel like crap. nothing makes me happy, i have nothing to look forward to. my dad suddenly died end of last year - and i can think only of him. i''m so scared as well. i''m struggling at work - i just can''t concentrate. i have a shrink - but i''m flat broke - even maxed my credit card... and i''m constantly eating. i eat till i feel like throwing up... i''m so scared that one day i might just loose it. any advice?

Well, don't give up. That;s the one response that is guaranteed to fail. You are still working through a difficult bereavement, and it takes more time and hard work. But you know he would want you to work through this and sort things out. Save some money by concentrating on cutting down on all eating of empty calories, and concentrate on nutritious stuff - you know that's what you need to do. Your work may be suffering in part due to your being distracted by your ongoin grief. Explore seeing a shrink at much lower cost at the local medical school / state or provincial hospital. Explore SADAG ( number on this page ) for a support group's help, too.

3
Posted by: Realist | 2011-06-08

So sorry for your predicament and I would just like to give you a big tight cyber hug. I just know that it would help, no talk, no advice, just a tight warm hug to know that there are people out there who do not even know you, but are there in spirit. I of course cannot put myself in your shoes, as someone suffering a bereavement said to me when I said " I can imagine how you feel" ... " You cannot possibly know what I am going through"  so.....May God bless and keep you

Reply to Realist
Posted by: Wondering | 2011-06-08

Hi Sally,

I''m sorry about your dad. But whatever the reason why he passed away, try to think that if he could see you, he would want to see you happy. Life has these sad things, but we need to try to concentrate on the better side of it. If you have a mom, you could see her more often and give her more love as a way of dealing with it. Same if you have children or anyone else you love. I find that helps with the sadness.

You could also join a gym, a church or anything else that you might be interested in. Even if you don''t feel like it right now, you will see that once you start going, you''ll feel much better. I tend to have food cravings like you, but I noticed that when I''m active, I eat less. Now I''m down to a treat or two per week. Don''t let your state of mind tell you you can''t concentrate or you can''t stop eating. You''re stronger than you think and you can do a lot more than you think. You need to start doing things you enjoy. Don''t eat every time you feel down. Turn up the music and dance, or go for a bike ride, read a favourite book or meet with someone you care about. Even volunteer work might help. I always feel better when I do something for other people.

I hope you find joy in your life again soon.

Reply to Wondering