Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2009-08-05

How to inruduce new puppy

Our rescued Boxer is nou 8 years old, lovely dog with very nice personality BUT he doen' t like other dogs at all. We " babysit"  a friends puppy staffie twice and we couldn' t bring them together at all as Bruno want to attack.

Now my son got a Bullterrier puppy from his grandparent she is now 3 weeks, the puppy is coming home in 6 weeks time. My husband said the Boxer must just accept the pupy and he is sure he will, but I am scared.

Any advice?

Dear Wendy

Introduce them on neutral territory for a few times before taking them both home. A DAP diffuser may also help.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-05

I sure hope the bullterrier puppy isn' t also a male...

Reply to Chill

why would you get another breed of dog that is also notorious for not liking other dogs? This is a recipe for disaster...one can only hope that this new puppy has a submissinve nature. Sadly with Boxers the situation often seems to be that they do not like other dogs irrespective of whether they are on a walk out of their territory or in their own garden...i' d consider getting a behaviourist to supervise this intro....

Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-08-05

From what I`ve read in this site and numerous books it is suggested that its best to let the dogs meet away from where the Boxer might see as its own territory. Ideally it should be at a neatral place or even take the dogs on a walk with you being the clear pack leader before heading home.

Reply to Boerboel Owner