Question
Posted by: Desperado | 2008/05/29

How to handle Arthritis pain

I'm 25 and have the genetic arthritis Ankolysing Spondylitis.
It all started when in my matric year and reach a terrible peak just after my baby was born. I had serious pain in my back and hips that I can't even describe.

I did start excercise and it helps a bit and everyone tells me that's more or less the only treatment there is???

Is there anything apart of excecise I can do? I can take chronic pills but don't want to as it's so expensive and I feel I'm to young for chronic medication

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Desperado,
There are three things that can help you.

1. Proper nutrition- There is a specific strict diet to follow for Ankylosing Spondylitis to balance and correct your body's chemisty. There are specific texts on this. Or consult a properly qualified medical nutritionist. It is more about avoidance of certain foods than taking expensive tablets.

2. Appropriate exercise is vital for the maintance of joint motion and control of posture.

3. Osteopathic assessment and treatment is important to help reduce restrictions in your body and help alleviate the pain as well as make you aware of what can and can not help.