Question
Posted by: nix | 2009-01-09

HOW TO GET RID OF LOVE HANDLES?

H!

I really should' nt complain about anything, I have a stunning body, of wich I' m really proud of. The only thing that I would like to get rid of completely is the love handles around my middle. They' re not big at all, and some people dont really know what I' m complaining about, but I would like to know wich exercises I could to to take them completely away? Whenever I wear my jeans with a skinny top, I dont want to feel as if they are as large as life...

Hi Nix

You are not alone, and this is by far the most common question that is asked, actually. Everyone seems to battle with the weight in a specific area, in your case the thighs. It's really difficult to combat though, although you have already hopefully recognized that eating well and exercising correctly are the keys. The mistake people make is that they try to target the muscle group, often at the expense of doing the whole body exercise that is actually more effective. That's not to say that focus on a muscle group or area is bad, because you need it, but it's better to do whole body exercise. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross

1
Posted by: Shan | 2009-01-12

Hi Nix

I had the same problem and was exercising but didn' t see any change. After consulting a trainer I realised that it' s predominantly diet and the combination of cardio &  weight training that will help. Unfortunately you can exercise all you like but if you' re not eating properly the love handles are likely to stick around. Eating 5 small meals a day and sticking to low fat high fibre high protein foods will probably help.I' m no expert but just speaking from experience. Let' s see what the Doc says.

Shan

Reply to Shan