Question
Posted by: Andrea | 2010/02/09

how to get rid of cellulite!!!!!!!!!

Hi. I have a BMI of 19, I weigh 57kg and am 1.72 m tall. I have a lot of cellulite however! It isn' t visible on its own, only when I pinch my skin around my thighs and hips and tummy! I am currently exercising to Joanna Hall' s 28 day body plan DVD which is a combination of Cardio, Aerobics, Yoga and Pilates. Will this kind of exercising reduce my cellulite, maybe even remove it completely after a few months? I know that I should also increase my water intake?

HI Andrea

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. So therefore the DVD will be helpful, provided you do it often enough and for long enough.

So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted.

The problem is more likely diet related, and I'd encourage you to seek the assistance of a dietician in this regard. There are nuances, like what you eat, how much, and when, that a dietician should discuss with you. The water intake idea is false, it wont be helpful - the answer is to burn fat, because that's what cellulite is, but in your case, it's that last stubborn storage that you need to tackle, and that is tough.

So hang in there, be patient and keep going!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/19

HI Andrea

Reply to fitnessdoc