Question
Posted by: Unmotivated | 2008/08/02

How to get motivated

Hi, there

2 queries please.

How does someone who has never liked exercise, get motivated to do it. I have to do exercises to strengthen my muscles in my back and neck. When I do them at the biokintecists I' m fine, they really are not difficult, and feel GREAT afterwards. But I just cannot get myself do start getting them done at home, I only need to do them 3 times a week. I love walking but even that I don' t have the guts for and have to drag myself out and on the go 1 or 2 times a week (if I manage even that).

I have a crazy fit massage machine (I don' t use) because I don' t understand what use they are? Thought my husband would use it to lose his extra weight after his bariatric bypass 18 months ago, but he is still 20kg overweight. He also does not use it. Now I' ve heard they do more damage than good: I am also about 8-10 kg overweight.

Advice and thoughts will be appreciated.

Very Lazy unmotivated 50 year old!

Very difficult ones. Motivation is not something that can be packed and sold, if it were, there'd be a million people trying to do it.

So given that you have never liked exercise, it's difficult to "sell" you the idea that you'll enjoy it. But motivation comes from many sources, and in your case, your need to exercise is created by an injury or a strength problem you have. People are a great motivator, as you've seen with your bio, who helps you do the xercises. Why not consider finding a friend or a partner to exercise with you? Make a joint resolution to commit to exercise and see whether you can spur one another on? I think that is likely the best thing. And then walk together. if that's what you enjoy, then do it! Don't let anything stop you - find a willing friend, commit to 3 walks a week, and then help each other.

As for the massage machine - honestly, no idea about danger. I doubt it, because the intensity of vibration that woudl be required to cause damage would be enormous, and I don't think those machines are particularly effective, let alone dangerous! So I think that you're better off doing walking, and so is he (though he'd need some supervision early on) as a form of health and weight loss.