Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2012-02-16

How to get fit without loosing weight?

Hi Doc, I am a 26 yr old female, 1.72m tall and weigh about 57kg''s, so I am slightly underweight. I have never exercised because I am scared I loose weight, It is very hard for me to put on weight, I have recently started to walk/jog 5km''s on mon, wed and fri, I have tried to increase the amount of food I eat but find it difficult to stuff my face. Will I loose a lot of weight by doing this bit of exercise or will I just tone my muscles? All I want to do is be fit and tone up a bit as I have never exercised before. anything particular that I can eat more of eg: raw eggs, pasta, red meat etc... I LOVE the freedom feeling when running but really don''t want to get thinner, any suggestions please? I eat 3 meals a day, and eat quite healthy.

Hi Leanne

No, I don't think you'll lose weight. I think what will most likely happen is that your body will find its optimal weight and if you're been at this level of 57 to 58kg for a long time, then it's probably pretty close already. In fact, if you do train, you may find that you gain weight. It's not about stuffing your face, fortunately. Having said that, the diet is important and it may be worth your while to see a dietician and just discuss the subtle stuff like the timing of meals, portion sizes, frequency, because these finer details often make or break weight loss or weight gain programmes, so that's important too. For example, I think 5 meals a day would be better.

So the only thing you can do is start off, give it a shot and see where it leads you.

2
Posted by: Nayara | 2012-03-10

rachana you have actually witrten what my heart felt after reading Rujuta''s books. i really loved her style of writing. it pinches the right way of making tamasha of weight loss. thanks for everything in my life that even i am much fit after having a baby and didnt need to go on diets.yes it''s true there should be more awarness on being fit than slim n unhealthy. also one point i would like to mention here from all the discussion above is women avoid eating sweet,fried things etc. on the name of dieting but crave on them so much one fine day and that becomes more harmful.i would suggest eat everything you wish but in small portions so the body can absorb it.anyway keep it up.

Reply to Nayara
Posted by: Thandi | 2012-02-24

Leanne I hope the expert answers soon as I have this same problem. I am 1.7 and weigh 55kg, and this is after having a baby plus I am close to 40. When I do gain any weight at all, it comes off very quickly, sometimes dipping below where I started. The difference btwn you and I is that I gym regularly, but to avoid losing weight I only do weights. Any cardio reduces my weight within days. I won a contest last month for a free Adventure Boot Camp course lasting one month. I only attended for 2 and a half weeks and lost 3kg off a body which didnt need to lose weight. I also want to be toned and firm but how do I achieve this without looking gaunt from weight loss? We are always told you have to do cardio as well as weight-bearing exercises. But for some of us, cardio triggers unbelievable and unwanted weight loss :(

Like you, I eat very well. And when I stay away from gym for some weeks, I still don''t gain weight. Up to now I am still a size 30 in jeans .Same size as when I was 17 (21 years ago), plus same weight of 55kg.

Reply to Thandi