Question
Posted by: Estie | 2012-05-23

How to get dog to be less rough

We adopted a 1 year old staffie from a shelter in January, and we''ve had her spayed. She seemed to " hit it off"  with our small cat (10 months old) and they often play together/sleep curled up together. Problem is, she gets rough with him when she wants attention - she''ll jump on him or pin him down with one paw and try to give him some " love bites"  or lick him. The cat is none too happy about it. She gets lots of attention from us as well as daily walks and exercise.

Any ideas?

Hi Esti

I would advise that you contact a qualified animal behaviorist/ trainer to discuss the matter. They will be able to best suggest what sort of training you can implement to resolve this problem.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: Lu | 2012-05-30

When you Kitty grow older you''ll see that he will not tolerate rough play from the dog, they get rather moody and will most definitely show the dog who''s boss, and when they are bigger they will find a way to get away by jumping on the wall, cubboard, in a tree etc

I have a energetic Jack Russel and our cat love to play along up untill a certain point where she demands her space by slapping him in the face...lol

Reply to Lu
Posted by: Leila | 2012-05-24

It is normal for a dog to want to play with a cat he is friends with, and vice versa. But dogs are too rough and cats are too delicate so they get away by giving the dog a few scratches and bites, so the dog yelps away. The only way is to put a stop to this playing. The same thing happens with my cat and dog.
Both want to play with each other but they are not on the same wavelength physically. So I end the play right there and then.

Reply to Leila