How to gain weight while taking epilepsy medication

I am a 34 year old woman. I am currently taking Epinutin 300 mg for my epilepsy and Eltroxin 100mg for my thyroid gland. I am 1.7 m tall and weighs 55 kg. I have been on this weight since I was in high school. I also have a fast metabolism. I can eat the whole day, and not gain weight. I also drink a lot of coffee and a lot of Coke. I don' t do exercises, because I am afraid of losing the little weight I have. I am constantly tired. I have also tried using supplements but it doesn' t work, I just stay hungry.What can I do to gain some weight and keep it. I am also a smoker of about 10 sigarettes in 8 hours. I struggle to gain weight, but I lose weight easily. In the past I was told by my Specialist Physician that Eltroxin makes your metabolism work faster. I am currently trying to quit smoking, but with the Epilepsy medication, I am not allowed to use any patches or nicorettes to help me quit smoking. Please advise me what to do.

Dear Thea/Anonymous
With a BMI of 19,0 you really are very thin. Your ideal weight would be about 63 kg. If you can stop smoking, this would probably help you to gain some weight. Behaviour therapy from a clinical psychologist may help in your case where you are not allowed to use patches, etc, to assist with stopping smoking. From a dietary point of view gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle and Abbott, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements (e.g. Ensure FOS, which is made by Abbott) at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.