Question
Posted by: Shell | 2009-07-21

How to gain weight quickly and safely?

I am 30 yrs old and struggling to gain weight. I currently weigh 42kg and my height is about 1.6 meters tall. Perfectly healthy, no diseases or illnessess. 3 years ago i was successful in going from a size 26 to a size 32. Stress and an unhappy life has brougth me back to a size 26. I don'  t have a big appetite and find it an effort to eat, so i would like to know what i can do to put on weight quickly and safely.

Dear Shell
You are indeed severely underweight with a BMI of 16,4. To have an ideal BMI of 22 you should weigh at least 56 kg, which is a lot of weight to gain. If your weightloss is being driven by stress, anxiety and possible also depression (which can cause massive weightloss), then I would recommend that you seek help for these problems. Please consult a clinical psychologist (ask you gp to refer you) so that you can take charge of your life and learn to cope with stress and possible depression. I have written some articles on the subject of weight gaining. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read these articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.