Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2011/08/02

How to gain weight healthily

Hi doc, I''m a 26 year old female, i weigh about 57kgs and am about 172cm tall. I would like to gain a little more weight just to avoid my " anorexic"  look, but really struggle to do this. I eat quite healthy, but love junk food and sweets a lot. I don''t really exercise except for when we walk our dogs about twice a week. I avoid eating fat (biltong fat, crackling etc) as I want to remain healthy. I have tried eating more, but just cant force feed myself. My whole family has very fast metabolisms. I am happy with the bottom half of my body, but the top is too thin, especially my arms. What kinda food must I eat to gain a bit (about 7-8kg''s) of weight and what else should I do. I know people say I must be so happy to be thin, and I am, I am blessed, I feel it is just as hard to put it on as it is to loose it.

Dear Leanne
Your BMI = 18.9 which is tending towards underweight as you mention. The ideal BMI for an adult woman is about 22, for which you would need to weigh 66 kg, thus an increase of 8-9 kg as you say. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

2
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/08/02

Leanne I am with you on that one. I am also struggling to gain weight, the thing people dont seem to understand is that I can''t force feed myself either. When I am full I am full.

I am doing meal replacement shakes in between my meals now to see if that helps.

Can''t wait to hear what dietdoc says.

Reply to Kasandra

Dear Leanne