Question
Posted by: | 2017/11/23

how to gain weight

Hi Team I am a female - 54 years old, height is 1m62, weight is 49.8 kg. I am on cancer treatment at the moment (faslodex & zomabon and have also started radiation). I started with the no sugar, wheat and dairy about 4 months ago and seem to be losing a lot of weight (I was about 55 kg's before). What foods can I eat that will help me to put on weight. Its not that I don't have an appetite, I always seem to be eating. I have also started taking the cannoil (which might explain the munchies). Would appreciate any feedback to the types of foods that I can eat to help put on weight. Many, many thanks

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2017/12/01

Hi there,

Thanks for writing to us. 

I’m sure you must be super frustrated at struggling to gain weight. Starting a high calorie diet to gain weight can be tough, especially when it seems the world is obsessed with losing weight and low calorie diets. Being underweight is concerning as there are health risks with being too thin, particularly if for long periods of time, such as a weakened immune system, increased likelihood to fall ill, slower rates of recovery from illness and nutritional deficiencies.

I do think it would be a great idea for you to see a dietitian in your area to work out something really personal for you taking into account all these factors needed for weight/muscle gain. This is especially the case if you’ve tried hard in the past but gotten nowhere. A dietitian is trained in medical nutrition therapy to assist you with your goals. If you would like to consult with a dietitian, follow this link: http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/FindARegisteredDietitian.aspx

However, I can certainly help guide you on how to make the right choices in your nutrition to encourage weight gain in a healthy way. The good news is that there are loads of small strategies and tricks you can try to help gain weight so I am so glad you wrote to us today for guidance. Weight gain sounds simple for people who want to lose weight but a person whose weight is low only knows the dilemma they face. Your body needs extra calories in order to gain weight so that the extra energy can be stored as body weight. Aim for a goal weight gain of no more than 500g per week. While this may seem slow, much like in weight loss, this is far more sustainable and healthy for you.

Often the biggest challenge for trying to gain weight is that you eat large volumes of food to try get in more calories. However, this leaves you feeling super full and then not likely to eat much thereafter. Here are some tips on how to add these extra calories to your current diet without feeling overly full.

1.    Eat small frequent meals.

·         Eating large volumes of food to get in more energy is often not practical. Rather eat smaller amounts at one time by having three main meals plus three "mini-meals" each day. Because of this overall total energy improves. Also, you may find smaller meals easier to manage instead of very large volumes.

·         Eat when it is time to eat, rather than waiting until you feel hungry. You still need to eat even if you do not feel hungry.

·         Eat at set meal times. Fixed meal times may help to establish a more regular diet and improve appetite and intake. Try to keep consistent meal times on the weekend, too.

2.     Get snacking.

Have ready-to-eat snacks available to munch on when you feel hungry. Keep bite-sized and easy to eat foods within arm’s reach such as on your desk, in your handbag or in the grocery cupboard at home. The following foods make great high calorie snacks which you can eat between main meals:

·         Fresh fruit (cut apples and pears into wedges, make fruit kebabs or fruit salad)

·         Dried fruit (e.g. apples, pears, raisins, etc)

·         Peanut butter (on bread or crackers, or used to dip apple wedges) - try the salt- and sugar-free Black Cat yellow tub.

·         Nuts (your choice of raw, unsalted nuts)

·         Biltong

·         Milk and flavoured milk (e.g. Super M, Sterie Stumpie, etc)

·         Yoghurt and drinking yogurt (e.g. Yogi sip, etc) or Maas

·         Meal supplements e.g. Ensure, Nutren Activ, Nutren Fibre, etc (found at Dischem). Add these to your diet, so use as a meal supplement and not as a meal replacement. You can also mix protein powder into milk, yoghurt, scrambled eggs, etc.

·         Smoothies. Blend frozen berries with fresh fruit and have as a snack between meals. You can up the energy by adding protein powders, peanut butter or nuts and/or seeds. I’ve attached to this email a few smoothie recipes for you to try.

3.    Use liquid calories to your benefit.

There are loads of calories in beverages we consume and you can certainly use these to your advantage when trying to pick up some weight.

·         Firstly, drink fluids between meals and not with meals. Drinking fluids when eating a meal will fill you up quicker and so you eat less food (energy). Wait about 30 minutes after eating to have a drink.

·         Limit diet drinks, tea and coffee as these low calorie beverages fill you up and displace higher calorie foods.

·         When you do drink beverages keep them both energy and nutrient-rich. The best thing to drink on a healthy high calorie diet is water, low fat milk and fruit juices.

o    Replace cool drinks, coffee and tea with water, milk and fruit juices.

o    Instead of skim or fat free dairy, use 2% or low fat milk or yoghurt.

o    Water is good for general health and milk and fruit juices are very high calorie drinks.

o    Fruit juices are healthy, like the fruit from which they are derived, but contain many more calories than the fruit itself. Include 1 glass of fresh fruit juice at some point in the day.

4.    Eat the right kinds of fats.

The secret to consuming enough calories is to choose calorie dense foods. Calorie dense foods are foods which by volume contain a high number of calories compared to another food of the same volume. Think of two cups of food: one filled with a leafy salad and the other with nuts. Each cup has the same volume of food but the cup of nuts has much more calories than the cup of salad. It is then said that nuts are more calorie-dense than the salad.

Fats are a concentrated source of energy providing more than twice the energy per gram than the same amount of carbohydrates or protein. Including fats in your diet is therefore an easy way to add extra calories.

·         Healthy dietary habits are very important when gaining weight and eating a lot of unhealthy junk foods that are not nutritious can hinder your health in the long run.

·         Instead, consume healthy and good fats such as avocado and avocado oil, olives and olive oil, sesame oil, flax seed oil and oily fish (salmon, tuna, pilchards, sardines, mackerel), nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia, pecans, peanuts, pistachios), peanut butter, and seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds). 

·         While high in energy, limit full cream dairy such as full cream milk, yogurt and cheese. Rather add healthy fats (such as those listed above) so that we do not encourage adverse health effects such as cholesterol problems.

5.    Get enough protein.

You need to supply your body with the protein it needs or you won’t see very much weight gain. Protein is an important nutrient for muscle building and to strengthen your immunity.

·         Sources of protein include lean meat, chicken, fish, nuts, seeds, dairy products, eggs and cheese.

·         Aim for protein with every main meal (and even as a snack if possible).

·         Use milk or yoghurt with cereals or smoothies.

·         Spread peanut butter (also a healthy fat) on crackers, wholewheat bread or as a dip for fruit.

·         Include low fat dairy in your diet such as yoghurt with breakfast, Yogisip as a snack, or a glass of hot milk (with a teaspoon of honey, Milo or protein powder) before bed.

6.    Get active.

I know this one may sounds counterproductive but even when trying to gain weight exercise is important.

·         Regular exercise is important to gain body weight through muscle building.

·         Also, being active helps to improve your appetite. When first starting a weight gain eating plan though, it may be best to start exercise only when you feel comfortable with your weight gain.

·         For more information on exercising for weight gain, pop a question on health24 to the fitness experts.

I hope this information helps in addressing your concerns. As I mentioned in the beginning, the best advice is to start slow and go slow. I wish you much success with your quest to get healthy and gain weight.

Best wishes and I wish you everything of the best in keeping healthy and beating this cancer. Stay strong!