Question
Posted by: Lera | 2011/01/10

How to gain weight

Im a 22yr old lady, goin 23 this yr and ever since i was a kid i''v been struggling to gain weight. no matter how much i eat i wont gain weight, though i must admit i dont get hungry easily(but will still force myself to eat). If i dont force myself to eat i might even go for two days without eating. the thing is i can loose wieight within dys but gaining a single KG is a mission. im 1.69m tall, and weigh 47/48Kg. its so abnormal and makes me a bit insecure at times abt how i look in certain clothes and all. I used to get sick a lot in the past but th last year i''v been healthy. i dnt get tired a lot, the doctor cant find much wrong wit me, i dont hav TB nor HIV/AIDS. I dnt think i have cancer either. im goin to be 23 soon but look like im 18 it sucks cos even my boobs look like a 13yr old''s. I eat food with an okay amount of fat and carbs but still. Ant to think people think being skinny is the greatest thing ever... :)
Please let me know what i can do about this. i dont let it get to me too much cos il get depressed, i love myself and blah blah but a lil booty wont hurt. *wink wink....lol!

Dear Lera
Your present BMI = 16,8 which is extremely low. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

2
Posted by: Mary | 2011/01/10

Do you like Milk? If so try drinking a glass of milk twice a day but make sure to eat first so as not to spoil your appetite. Make a consious effort to eat regularly (5 times a day). It doesn''t have to be large amounts. Good luck!

Reply to Mary

Dear Lera