Question
Posted by: Want2gain | 2010-07-27

How to gain weight

Hi there,I am 29 years old &  as far back as I can remember,I have always been thin.Always the joke topic at the party,referred to as skinny,as thin as a rake etc. &  I have always tried to gain weight by eating more frequently &  increasing my fat intake but now at the age of 29 &  2 kids later-i''m still just 49kgs.How can I gain weight-is there any supplements that I can take???

Dear Want2gain
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-27

Dear Want2gain