Question
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2011-05-05

How to explain overpowering moods

Hi CS,
I managed to get the guy out, have a restraining order and went to Denmar for 2 weeks, but I have this overwhelming feeling of emptiness that I cannot explain. I am not missing the guy don''t get me wrong, it is so pleasant not to have him around, although he still believes we are going to get married in September and so forth. Why I don''t know.
I have not desire to do anything, I don''t want to be at work, I don''t want to wake up in the mornings, I just want to stay in bed and do nothing, not even read a book, it is taking all my effort to get to work and I don''t want to do anything and feel guilty because I don''t really do much, out of the amount of working days this year I have just worked over a 3rd, and I now wish I could just be at home and do nothing, absolutely nothing.
People do not understand the depth of this feeling, driving is an effort, so much so that I get distracted and I don''t care about myself, just worried about the person in the other car. I won''t commit suicide because my kids won''t get any funds then, so here I sit and carry on. I am so tired....

Sometimes the sensation of emptiness is rather Existential. Or as not infrequently happens when one tries to give up a bad habit, even though one knows it's bad and you're relieved to have given it up, this may leave one with more empty time than we're used to.
Rather than sit and debate, even weakly, whether to get up, decide to postpone the decision-making, but to just get up anyway. Often, once you get under way, you discover the energy that isn't there if you just lie there and wait for it to arrive. Doing nothin is greatly over-rated as a pastime.
Do discuss these concerns, including the distractedness that can affect your driving, with your shrink.
If I allowed tiredness to stop me working, I wouldn't have worked in decades.

3
Posted by: Maria | 2011-05-05

Well done on getting rid of that loser, that shows you what you are capable of. When I was really depressed I would often while driving speculate on how fast I would have to drive into a wall so that I don''t die, but I get to spend several weeks in hospital not being responsible for anything. I get what you are talking about and unlike Truth I don''t think you''re wallowing in it. This is a process, and you have to talk to your doc and/or psychologist about it, and work through this phase towards a more satisfying way of living. Take care.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Truth | 2011-05-05

Well done on getting rid of him.
I am worried though about his view of nuptials occuring in Sept!
This shows that you still have some kind of contact with him, surely you have cut him out of your life completely?Whatever he is thinking should not be communicated to you as it is irrelevant.
As for your depression you really need to combat this with the help of your shrink. Your shrink needs to help you with your suicidal thoughts and lethargy which at times in your postings you almost appear to enjoy wallowing in along with the self imposed dramas.

Reply to Truth