Posted by: Dog-Tired | 2009-01-15

How to eat while gyming &  dieting

Doc, please advise?

My husband and I started gyming 2 weeks ago, we are also following our own " healthy"  eating plan that consists of the following:
1 Weetbix with milk &  sugar
1 x Vitalinea Yogurt
Low G.I. Bread with Peanut Butter or cheese
Piece of protein

Our goal is to loose weight and live a healthier lifestyle, but WE ARE SO TIRED, WE WANT TO FALL OVER!! WHY??

Gym is supposed to give you more energy, isn' t it? What are we doing wrong? I need to loose 30kg, husband about 8kg. Our gym session consists of mostly cardio ex. for 1 hour.

Please advise, I was so looking forward to feeling better, but this is not it.

Dear Dog-Tired
No wonder you are dead beat. You are doing strenuous exercise for an hour a day and your diet is not only very low in energy, but also deficient in carbohydrates. Carbs are essential to fuel your exercise - most top athletes obtain up to 70% of their daily energy requirement from carbs, so check out the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet on this website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). This diet will provide you with more than enough carbs to give you energy so that you can exercise. Carbs only provide 16 kJ per gram, while fat contains 37 kJ per gram, so by all means reduce your fat intake (for example use fat-free cottage cheese instead of other cheeses and baked beans instead of peanut butter for lunch). Also click on 'Fitness' and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for sportsmen and women', esp the ones about carbs, carbo-loading and protein.
Good luck with your excellent endeavour