Question
Posted by: Alison | 2012-05-25

How to cope with changing workplace

I am having increasing difficulty staying calm at work. The lack of discipline, integrity, honesty, values, caring, oh boy, I could go on all night. I am really struggling to get used to the lack of standards. In the nursing profession, if you are the only one who cares, you end up doing everything. The lack of knowledge is frightening. I do not have a choice but to stay, but how does one ever adapt to a completely different set of values? Or is it a complete lack thereof? We are working with peoples well being and this incompetence has serious implications. I just feel like I cannot adjust, but is there a choice?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Alison there is a choice. You are obviously a person of ethics and standards. To achieve satisfaction emotionally and professionally you are going to have to be brave and challenge the authorities. If it should end badly so be it. Move on to another pasture and see what that brings..all life experiences.

6
Posted by: Liehcim | 2013-04-11

I am afraid what you describe is what you find in the workplace at present.If you are of the younger generation you are exceptional if not, you will just have to find a way to accept the issue as is it will not change.that is if you have to keep on working.It is also the reason why our country is in chaos the word disciplin has been taken out of the current dictionary.

Reply to Liehcim
Posted by: Alida | 2013-04-11

Dear Alison, I wish I worked with people like you. I'm in the freight industry and trust me when I say....it's everywhere...it's very sad. I've learned to say nothing and not get invloved. Most of the time, the people doing the back stabbing are the boss's little pets...so I just go with the flow...It's very difficult but somehow you learn to switch off when it comes to the nasty people....good luck and know you are not alone....hang in there.

Reply to Alida | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Roger | 2013-04-11

I am also in the freight industry and experience the same problem, play the game with the boss and you can get away with anything. Some bosses encourage this behaviour.

Posted by: Sick and Tired | 2013-04-11

I have the same problem in finance department and people just don't care, do not answer their phone, leave their workspace for hours at a time and you that are doing your job have to answer their calls and do their work because the customer needs help.

Reply to Sick and Tired
Posted by: Pieter | 2012-06-21

Make use of the grievance procedure. Should management still ignore your complains it will be the start of a ''paper trial'' for a unfair constructive dismissal in the event that you resign due to unfair working circumstances.

Reply to Pieter
Posted by: Lorraine | 2012-06-13

Thank you Alison for being one of the very few people that still care for other humans.
Yes, unfortunately this is all over the place. Not only in your profession. Just go to the bank and see the morons....
I hope you find something else.
The UK is always an option. Their Government still believe in caring for their people. And they have a shortage of nurses because (like here in SA), it is much easier to have babie and claim grants than working.

Reply to Lorraine