Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2011-01-20

How to Calculate BMI

What is the correct formula for working out your BMI?
I have been given different formulas, where one answer is I am over weight, theother depicting an under weight.
I am 4ft 2 inch and weigh 57kgs - I am 43years old

Dear Michelle
The formula to calculate your BMI = weight in kg divided by (height in metres x height in metres). I calculate that you are 1.27 m tall (4' 2" = 50" x 25,4), so 57/1.27 x 1.27 = 57/1.61 = 35,4 which is in the obese category. Are you sure you are only 4 ft 2 inches tall? If you were 5 ft 2 inches tall, then you BMI would equal 23,2 which is nicely in the normal category. Please measure your height with a metric tape measure and post a new message to me if your height is more than 4 ft 2 inches.

2
Posted by: Michelle | 2011-01-24

I did make an error - I am 5ft 2 and weigh 57, my age is 43
And I worked ot my BMI and its not too bad

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-20

Dear Michelle