Posted by: Kelly | 2009-04-28

How To Break It Down?

Hi Cs!

Another question...
I have this friend, he clearly has cavities right.
I mean there' s no way of missing it when speaking to him...
I think that perhaps if he goes to the dentist, they would have to extract a couple of teeth as filling will not even be an option...

So as a result he has bad breath too, he is constantly eating sweets and sweet things.
He has a gf but it' s as if she does not see this!I don' t see how she can miss it though, I mean she is pretty and all and has perfect hygiene.
Beautiful teeth, one just thinks that she would have mentioned this to him...

Could he not know about this? If it was me I would go to have it fixed asap.
What could be preventing him from getting some help for those teeth?
I mean it' s only getting worse.
He has as I can see top dentures which I don' t think anyone knows because no has seen him without them and they look like his.
He is an extremely good looking guy, until he opens his mouth that is.

I can' t seem to tell him but I have told him once to stop eating all those sweets because he is going to get rotten teeth!!
I thought this would give him a hint but it hasn' t ...
How do I bring this across to him?I don' t think I can speak to his gf about it either.

Well, eating the sweets, and not brushing enough, is likely to lead to the dental problems, and he could do something about it. But many people fear going to the dentist, as it has remained an unpleasant experience, compaired to advances made in other health areas.
Could you chat to him ( or his gf could ) about your own experiences of tooth problems, and how its nasty to visit the dentsit but may prevent even nastier consewuences --- but talking abo ut yourself, or some other friend of yours, rather than only about him. Another time, enthusiastically recommend some mouth wash you have fouind especially pleasant and helpful --- mentioning that you think it has cleared up your own mouth odour, and how you appreciate this, as it can be so hard to notice your own smells.

Posted by: Stinky-phoo ! | 2009-04-29

Why not try some subtle hints, like as soon as he starts talking, whip out a face mask and put it on. Or gently fan your hand in front of your face. I' m sure he will get the hint !! LOL

Reply to Stinky-phoo !
Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-28

Do you have any idea how expensive dental work is? He might not be in a similar situation to mine, but the most that I can afford WITH medical aid, is to have two extractions OR fillings per year. Since I actually need root canals'  (yes, multiple - my teeth are really bad) with crowns (a root canal with filling doesn' t last that long.) I just simply cannot afford it on my current plan. I just have to live with the fact that two of my front teeth are a different colour to the others that are crowned. (They turned grey after a root canal).

And yes, I guess that I' m finicky about dentists because I always went public health as a child and the student dentists are the reason why my teeth are so bad now. One student polished a major portion of the enamel off my own teeth once, causing a multitude of cavities soon after. I could tell other horror stories about what students did to me, but I sincerely doubt that anyone would believe me about how bad it was.

I for one would not blame anyone who doesn' t want to go to the dentist...

Reply to Liza