Posted by: Angel | 2008-12-23

How to

Dear doc,i want to work out my body fat %.i am 21 and weigh 62 my bmi is 21 and i am 1.69 meters long.Can you also tel me what is the healthy bodt fat %?thank you doc

HI Angel

I'm not 100% sure what your body fat is now - you didn't mention it. Regardless, anything between 20 and 25% would be considered pretty good for a women of your age.

However, I'd caution against this use of body fat as a guide. It's very difficult to measure body fat accurately. In the gym, they either use the calipers, or the infra-red, or a method called bio-electrical impedance. All three have strengths, but also have weaknesses. They are too inaccurate to be used as a method of monitoring your training. So my advice is to forget about body fat and just focus on how fit you are getting and how your training is going. If you are getting fitter, stronger and enjoying training, then the numbers will take care of themselves. So by all means, measure it, but don't let it dictate your training or your perception of your training success.