Question
Posted by: Burglary victim | 2009-03-27

How suitable are these breeds

After 2 attempted + 1 succesful burglary we r going to get a large breed of dog (puppy) My hubby likes Great Danes + Rigebacks while I was thinking of an Irish wolfhound or Boerbull - something big to scare would-be intruders. Bearing in mind that our children r 4& 7 which of these breeds would b most suitable. We have quite a big plot on the edge of a large piece of veld so excercise won' t b a problem 4 us + the dog.

Dear Burglary victim

Irish wolfhounds can be placcid and Great Danes can easily sleep through a burglary. My first choice would be the Ridgeback and second the Boerboel.

4
Posted by: WR | 2009-03-29

I' m a GSD fan - and in my experience - a GSD is probably one of the best all-rounders out there. Buy one that is more bred for working ability instead of beauty - thus working vs. show dog.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Dave | 2009-03-27

Generally speaking the Boerboel makes a good watch dog but as has been said often on this forum lately, good breeding is essential. Only buy a pup from a reputable breeder + check out the temprements of both parents. It doesn' t make good sense having a good watch dog but U can' t trust him with your children. Many of these so called breeders are so stupid they think the more agressive a Boerboel is the better  that in my opinion is just plain stupidity. Have a good look around first, ask other people who also have dogs from that breeder + in the end make an informed decision.

Reply to Dave
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-27

Ridgebacks are fantastic with children and other animals ..my ridgeback used to babysit my kids when they were babies..... they adored each other.

However like all large breeds ridgebacks can be naughty and destructive, they need training and they need to feel part of a pack ...... the pack being your family.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Burglary victim | 2009-03-27

Thanks Cyber Vet 4 your reply. I would like 2 know how the Ridgeback or Boerbull would b with my kids.

Reply to Burglary victim