Question
Posted by: V | 2005/05/30

Q.

How soon after having intercourse during ovulation can you tell if you're pregnant

My husband and I are trying for our second child. I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I have started the medication and noticed that I was ovulating (presence of slippery discharge), so we took full opportunity of the 5 days, but I want to know how soon would I be able to do a pregnancy test. Would I have to wait until 3 days before my next period? Is the clear slippery discharge a sure-fire way of knowing that you're ovulating hence the chances of falling pregnant increase?

Expert's Reply

A.

The discharge is suggestive of ovulation but not definite. A home pregnancy test will only be posiitve about 3 days AFTER your period is due. The blood test is positive just before the period.

2
user comments

C.

Posted by: anon | 2005/05/30

there are home pregnancy tests that can detect pregnancy before the onset of your period, but to be double sure (and save money in case you are testing too soon or your period is just a bit late) just wait until about 3 - 5 days after your expected period. with regards to the discharge, apparently not all women get it at all, so it depends on how well you know your body - ovulation predictor sticks might be your answer.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Poolnymph | 2005/05/30

The best is to test 4 - 5 days after your period was due to start, as testing too early could give a false negative.
I started haing period-like "cramps" and blood pressure problems 2 days after I conceived, but I thought I had bladder infection! So some women do start with "funny" little signs before the time.
Please keep us posted and I'll say a prayer that this might be your month!

God Bless.

Reply to Poolnymph

Want to comment?