Posted by: Stressed out | 2008-12-10

How safe is Amnicentesis?

Hi Ladies,

I just want to find out the pros and cons of doing an amnio for paternity purposes. My partner says the baby is not his, and therefore wants us to do the test, which i have no problem doing coz i have nothing to hide!

I am only 18w, and it' s either we do the Amni now, which apparently is risky to the baby or wait till May when i give birth. The waiting is killing me, because he is convinced that it' s not his child. He said we will only talk when the baby comes, how cruel is that?

Pls advice, i am very depressed!

There is a 1% risk of miscarriage with an amniocentesis. This is quite a risk to take with a normal pregnancy.

Posted by: DDK | 2008-12-11

Oh and one last thought.... It is a rather expensive procedure if you paying it yourself... or if your medical aid is paying for it - it takes nearly all your MSA...

Reply to DDK
Posted by: DDK | 2008-12-11

I also had an amnio done at 17 weeks, it was done in the gynaes rooms and afterwards I was given suppositories and anti biotics to make sure that there was no infection.

I did find that for a few hours afterwards my tummy felt almost hard - as if in a spasm. Although it is risky, so mabe you should wait until the baby is born to do a paternity test.
But if you cant wait - trust your gynae - the know what they are doing.

Hope everything works out ok for you.

Reply to DDK
Posted by: john | 2008-12-11

I went for an amnio because of my age, I was over 37yrs and it was my first preg and because I' m on blood pressure medicine. My gynae did it in his surgery, yes it is risky, because I have to bedrest for 4 days afterwards because it can lead to miscarriage. Good luck!!

Reply to john