Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2008/09/11

How often to excersize

I am a working, single mom so excersize is hard to fit in. I tend to go to gym in the morning, lunch time and evening, but because my time is limited I can only e there for 40min at a time. Im new to teh fitness world and was wondering if its still effective training for short periods 3 timesdaily or is it better to train for 2hrs once a day. I' m 15kg over eight and I want to loose it desperately!
Thx

HI Nicky

You honestly don't need 2 hours a day - that's probably excessive, I'm not sure where you got it from. My advice would be to go for one hour per day, and possibly even 40 minutes on your shorter days. You might be able to squeeze in 60 minutes over lunch, if you give up the 40 minutes in mornings and afternoons? But the point is that you don't need to go to gym 3 times a day, that's excessive. It won't help you lose weight faster in the long term either because you're likely to compromise quality there. So my advice, take one session a day, see if you can stretch it out to 60 minutes, and then you'll be fine.

3
Posted by: d | 2008/09/17

Smaller sessions more often are better than a long session because they keep your metobolism " ticking over"  at a higher rate. Keep the sessions varied eg one session walk, next bike, next lunges + legs, next core but remember work the big muscles if you want to lose weight. ie better to do legs eg lunges than eg bicep curls ! Your diet is obviously essential - eat smaller meals more often rather a huge meal.

Reply to d
Posted by: nicky | 2008/09/16

thx so much for the help

Reply to nicky
Posted by: taz | 2008/09/15

Nicky,
whether you do a 2hr session or 2x a day 40min sessions, it' s the same. Honestly, you only need 40 - 60 min per day for exercise / workout.
So go to gym in the morning or lunch-time and then in the evening, after work and supper and kids.
So some ' toning'  or at home exercises.
Such as 100 (or start off with 30) sit-ups or crunches then 20x leg lunges and 20x squats and 3-min of running on the spot or " invisible"  skipping rope. Do 2 sets of each.
These will take up about 15 - 20 min and it' s quick and will show results, if you do them 4 times a week.

Reply to taz