Question
Posted by: Lands | 2011-02-28

How much weight training

Hi There, I''m 41 yrs old and trying to tone up. Been training hard (really I have) for over a year now, I haven''t lost " weight"  as such but my clothes have definately gotten much loser. The problem is I can''t seem to get my body fat % down at all and my weight is the same. I''ve been advised to train 3 days weight training and 3 days cardio but I want to know if I do this, do I do the same weight training concentrating on the same muscle groups for all 3 days or should I vary it?

Hi Lands

I'd argue that your body fat percentage must have come down at least a little, or it would be impossible to have seen the changes you have - if you haven't lost weight, but your clothes are fitting differently, then something has changed. Chances are that your muscle tone and mass have gone up, which means you must have lost fat mass. So I'd say you might have done more than you realize!

In terms of training, it can be difficult to lose weight because maybe you're close to the goal weight already, and also your diet is probably more important in this regard than training. I wouldn't focus too much on changing training, rather change the diet and maintain the training.

Variety is important, and also it allows you to rest certain muscle groups, which helps reduce the chance of injury. So try to avoid consecutive days, especially 3 days in a row, if you can.

I'd focus also on the cardio training - are you getting fitter? For example, if you used to run say 6km in 35 minutes, you should be running them in 32 min now, or running 8km at that speed. Either way, something has to change in fitness, and then you know you're on the right track!

Ross