Posted by: MK | 2009-02-05

How much water is too much water

I am 43 years of age and I exercise every evening (running, walking, etc). I also drink a lot of fluids (cofee in the morning and rooibos during the rest of the day) including two litres of water. Is this too much or it adequate to keep my body rehydrated?

Dear MK
Basically adults require 2,5 litre of liquid per day (this includes all the liquids you drink in a day, not just the water). So measure how much you actually drink and if you are exceeding 3 litres then cut back. Use an energy drink when you exercise because they not only provide you with energy, but also contain potassium and sodium to prevent electrolyte imbalances which can occur if you overdo your water intake.

Posted by: fowzia | 2009-02-05

Dear Doc

Could you pls shed some light on something Ive seen on the Oprah Show. Dr Oz mentioned that if a person dip whole grain bread into oive oil and you eat it it will stop you from feeling hungry. What do you think doc.

Reply to fowzia
Posted by: Toni | 2009-02-05

I think you drinking enough water, i only drink about 6 to 8 glasses a day and if its cold and raining liek today then its less, drink what you can, dont force yourself, but lets see what diet doc says...

Reply to Toni