Posted by: Mariam | 2012-06-28

how much sleep should a 3yr old get

I have a 3 yr old who does not always sleep well at night and only gets half an hour''s sleep during the day. She wakes up early and is fairly active during the day and takes a very long time to fall asleep at night. i''m worried that she isn''t getting enough sleep. what can i do?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

You are quite right that she probably is not getting enough sleep.

The key is routine - dinner the same time, bath the same time, calming activities at night, then bedtime the same every night. If she wakes during the night and wants to play quietly in her bed, that is ok, but she is not allowed to disturb anyone else. A regular rest time after lunch is also important at this age.

If her sleep does not become more regular, speak to your paediatrician about it.

Posted by: Marilyn | 2012-08-06

My daughter of 2yrs, goes to bed very late at night and does not allow me to sleep, whilst she is awake as she wants me to play with her, but all this has left me quiet exhausted during the day as I must get up early for work. This have been going on for the past 3months, please advise if I can administer something so that she can have a good nights sleep.

Reply to Marilyn