Question
Posted by: Angie | 2010-03-28

How much should I lose

I am very overweight. I weigh 106kg and my height is 1,63m. I am 38yrs old. I am desparate to lose weight. I exercise moderately regularly a few times a week and try follow a low GI diet. I am losing very slowly. How much should I lose? How quickly is it safe to lose the weight. I am against using any sort of diet pills.

Dear Angie
Firstly your present BMI = 39,8 which is very high. To reduce your BMI to 29 which is overweight, but no longer obese, you would need to lose 29 kg, which is a great deal of weight to lose. Once you have reached this first goal you can then proceed to the next goal of getting back into the normal range. For a BMI of 25 you would need to weigh 66 kg, thus a loss of a further 11 kg. In total you would, therefore, need to lose 40 kg. I would strongly recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assess your situation and the diet you are using because to lose weight steadily you need to eat a low-fat, energy-reduced and low-GI diet. The dietitian will also be able to determine if you require the use of Xenical which although it is medicine it does help patients to lose weight by preventing uptake of fat from the diet. It is excellent that you are doing exercise. Try to do some every day to stimulate your metabolism and promote weightloss. As you lose weight and get fitter you can increase the intensity of your exercise and also exercise for longer.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-29

Dear Angie