Question
Posted by: Sihaam | 2010/02/19

How much protein should he be eating?

My husband is 29 years, about 1.76m and 100kg. He wants to lose weight and build muscle. he trains for about an hour 5 days a week.
he says he needs to consume about 196g of protein a day. Is this correct or is it excessive?

Dear Sihaam
Generally speaking top athletes require about 2 g of protein per kg body weight. In your husband's case, I presume he is not yet a top athlete, so his protein requirement would be about 1g per kg body weight or 100 g per day or half the protein he intends eating. He should be careful what type of protein he eats, because protein foods like meat can have a high fat and cholesterol content, which is harmful to the heart. His present BMI = 32,3 which is in the obese category. It would be good if he could reduce his weight to 77 kg (BMI = 25). I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain more info on diets for sportsmen/women. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.
I hope you hubby can lose some weight and get fit.

1

Dear Sihaam