Posted by: Jane | 2009-04-14

How much Protein &  Carbs?

Dear DietDoc,

I am 24 year old female and at the moment I run 15km (increasing each week to get to 21km) about 4 times a week, once a week do a shorter one and I weigh 58kgs. I was reading the Protein and sports performance article. Can you please help me work out how much protein I should be consuming each day and also, carbs?

Thank you :).

Dear Jane
Generally speaking adult female athletes can use up to 2g of protein per kg body weight per day. In your case this would entail 2 x 58 = 116 g of protein. For carbs you need about 7-10 g per kg body weight/day, thus between 406 and 580 g/day. You may find it difficult to ingest nearly 600 g of carbs a day, so first aim for the 400 g/day. Best regards