Question
Posted by: tamsyn | 2010-03-08

How much Omega 3 should I take?

I''m a 30 yr old female, in great shape and eat a healthy balanced diet. I was advised to take an Omega 3 supplement and a multivitamin daily.
How many mg''s of Omega 3 do I require daily? And does it matter if I take it morning or evening?

Dear Tamsyn
There is as yet no specific RDA prescribed for omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. According to a leading article on these fatty acids, it is suggested that an intake of 0.9 to 1 g of omega-3 fatty acids per day should be adequate and that the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio should be approx 1:10. Because most people eating a western diet that contains margarine and plant oils which are rich in omega-6, no specific value has been specified. Omega-3 fatty acids are the ones we usually need to supplement in our diets. You can take these omega-3 in the morning.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-08

Dear Tamsyn