Question
Posted by: marian | 2012/07/27

how much is too much sushi?

Dear Dietdoc, can one eat " too much"  sushi? I''m not talking about volume, but frequency. Together with our 10-year old daughter we would eat sushi at least once a week, and could even increase our intake to 3 times a week, as we all love it so much! We usually eat 9-12 pieces each, mostly salmon california rolls and salmon roses, or salmon/tuna and avo " sandwiches" . Our daughter also likes the salmon sashimi. We always use low-sodium soya sauce. We do eat fruit and vegetables at other times of the day. Both my husband and I seem to be wheat intolerant and we find the rice therefore a good carbo alternative.
Your expert advice would be appreciated.

Dear Marian
While sushi is an excellent dish being rich in high quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids (from the fish) and non-allergenic carbohydrate (the rice as you mention), as with all foods one can eat "too much" sushi. Awhile ago I wrote about 'eating sushi during pregnancy' which addresses the problems of eating so much raw fish which is associated with a number of problems esp for children (e.g. potential exposure to high levels of heavy metals and infestations, plus the anti-thiamine factor found in raw fish). According to directives formulated by the UK Governmental Protection Agency, most adults and children should not eat too much raw fish - 3 times a month is regarded as not excessive. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and 'Pregnancy' and search for the articles on 'Eating sushi' which are applicable to anyone, not just pregnant women.
Moderation is always a good idea and it is important not to concentrate on any one food or beverage in one's diet.

2

Eish! 4 times a week is not quite enough for me!

Dear Marian