Question
Posted by: Dunno | 2010/02/08

How much is too much ?

Hi Fitness Doc,

Please help me out here. I am a 36y/o woman. I do about 1 &  3/4 hours of cardio training 4 times a week and 1x 100km road bike ride once a week, that' s roughly 10hrs a week. I also do about half an hour of light weight training a week (I know this isn' t enough). I train hard when I do, normally at an average HR of at least above 80%. I' m pretty fit and love training. My friends that I ride with, who are men and obvioulsy stronger than me, keep telling me that I train too much. Do u think I train too much? Please help me clear this up !

Thanks !

Hi Dunno

It depends, some people would find this too hard, others not. It seems from your question that you are coping fine with it, and so that leads me to suggest that you just continue, and don't worry too much about overdoing it, yet. Having said that, there is definitely a point at which exercise can become excessive, and you have to be on the alert for these signs.

The big one is failure to perform. You may find that your daily 1km swim takes a couple minutes longer, but you feel that you are working just as hard, if not harder. If that happens for maybe 2 or 3 days in a row, then it's a sign that you need a break and should rest, even if it's just for a couple of days. Some of the others are lack of sleep, irritability, loss of enjoyment etc. Any of these should set off alarm bells, if they persist for a long time. However, until such time, keep it up and enjoy training.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/11

Hi Dunno

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: personal trainer | 2010/02/10

The best way to know is by checking yor h/R every day. You should find out what is your resting h/r is and if its not that the next day you have not yet fully recovered and might have the risk of over training. But note the fitter you get the lower your resting h/r would be so you should monitor it on a regular bassis.

Reply to personal trainer