Posted by: Will | 2009-02-10

How much is too much

Im 16 and go to the gym 3 times a week for and hour and my sessions are split to 50% cardio 50% weights I am aware that my body is still growing and should not over do it but how do I know when that is. normally I dont get many aches or pains usually I will after doing leg curls and bicep curls but it will take them 10 mins at the very most to disappear is this alright. I do think I lift quite heavy weights but I can manage it and like I said I dont really get many lasting aches I just like something challenging.

Difficult one, because there's no absolute cut off point. So what is too much for you might not be for someone else, or vice versa.

I think if you're not getting stiff or sore, then you're probably below that point. Fatigue and aches and pains are the sign to look for. So you have to let your body guide you and pay very close attention to small injuries or small niggles that could, if you're not careful, develop into worse. But that's about the most one can do - pay attention, listen to your body and don't push beyond that too far.