Posted by: Portia | 2009-08-26

How much is the realistic time to get this weight off

I used to be very health concious and somewhere along the way I fell off the wagon. I am currently weighing 80kg and I don' t feel that healthy right now. I went to my doctor she calculated my BMI and I have to loose 20 kg' s in order to be on the correct weight. I have started exercising daily, eating well and drinking at least 1.5 to 2liters of water daily. I would just like to know what is the reasonable time rate that I can get this weight off. I don' t want to set unreasonable goals and get dissappointed. Please advise.

Dear Portia
If you reduce your energy intake to 6300 kJ per day (primarily by cutting down on fat intake) and doing cardio exercise for at least 30 min or more a day, then you should be able to lose approx. 0,5 to 1 kg per week. In other words it would take approx. 5 months to lose the 20 kg. Do not get despondent at this seemingly long period of time. Set yourself realistic goals: let's say to lose the first 5 kg, and then the 2nd and so on. Slow, steady weightloss will not only help you to keep the weight off permanently, but also help you to stay healthy and not to regain everything you have lost once you stop your strict diet.

Posted by: Portia | 2009-08-27

Thank You Doc :-)

Reply to Portia