Posted by: Shelley | 2010-09-29

How much is fair maintenance for special needs child

My son has been going to Speech, OT, therapists etc for the last year - although I have a good relationship with my ex - he pays R1600 - this is no where near what it costs for schooling and remedial items. the divorce agreement states he must pay all schooling, medical, extra murual etc. Is this fair - he earns a decent salary but has made many debts for himself and so continues to plee that he cant pay more... I obtained a break down of expenses from a lawyer which calcualted my sons cost to be around R7500 per month incl rent eschools etc....worried if I go to maintenance court it wil get ugly and I dont want my son to get the brunt of that. My ex lives in jhb and hardly phones my son or sees him but he does love him. Im concerned as I wont be able to cope with all expense much longer. Thanks. If theres nayone else who cna give me advice plesae do so.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

The interests of the child is of paramount importance and therefore as his parent you must act in his best interests. If there is a court order in place stipulating what needs to be paid, then any deviation therefrom will amount to be in contempt of a court order.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross