Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-24

How much fish ???

Im struggling a bit to keep my gang of 16 cats properly fed.... the wallets a bit empty lately.

At the moment they eat IAMS.. but its nearly 20KG a month.

I got some fresh (caught this morning) dorado heads to see how much meat I could get off them .. and got nearly 4 kilo' s of lovely fish out of two heads.

Now im thinking .. could I cook this up with rice and give it to them for one meal a day ???? they would still get their IAMS .. but this will reduce the IAMS by half.

I can get as much of this fish as I want .. and its FREE :)

But I dont want to do it at a cost to their health.:(

I note the american websites ... screech and carry on about too much fish.. but they also say AVOCADO is toxic to dogs , so I dont have much faith in their views.

Ideas would be most welcome.

Dear Carol

I'm sure with a bit of reasearch you be able to feed your cats a super diet with fresh fish and food combo.

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-01-25

Will do Carol, try at leasat. Thanks.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-25

Thanks Cat Lady.

Naturally im being made to feel guilty which has peeved me no end. (feeding them fish)

But the thing is this .... Im still saving them from a life of semi starvation in the " wild" 

Mine wont touch the cheaper tins either , mind you it looks flippin awful and it gives my dogs the runs.

And my word the meat that comes of the dorado is good firm white flesh.

You are in the cape arent you???? if you are near the coast try a fish shop and see what you get .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-01-25

Lucky You Carol!

I used to give my cats baby hake at night until it became too expensive.

I am too battling with the costs of the cats plus of course 5 dogs. My cats are on Hills and Purina One. It is simply too expensive for just Hills and the dogs get Ultra (with cooked chicken necks). I used to give the cats a tin of Lucky Pet divided amongst them in the morning but have had to stop that too as Lucky Pet now comes in small tins and is called Lucky Pet Supreme. Supreme is also the word for the price. So count yourself lucky that you get can FREE Dorado fish. I very seldom now give them baby hake but I do give them all a lick of two small tins of Lucky Pet at night, more for my sake than theirs. I used to given chicken too, freshly cooked of course, but the price of chicken is now double of what I used to pay. On top of it the cats refuse point blank to eat cheaper types of tins which end up in the stomachs of the dogs. Even Whiskas tinned chicken in gravy (nearly R13) they refuse. They are giving me grey hairs!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-25

Thanks Chill , I also cant help feeling that fresh caught fish is a helluva lot better than lucky pet.

I think tho with the americans that only have their cats indoors might have a point .... if the ONLY food is fish I agree.. but mine are inside/outside eating bugs etc .. and fish isnt going to be the only food.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-24

I' m no cat/fish expert, but I do know that our family cats used to get that Lucky Pet catfood often, and that was fish - those that survived traffic mishaps lived to a ripe old age, so it couldn' t have been too terrible for them. I do know that skin conditions, if present, are often exacerbated by a fishy diet.

Re the avocado thing: I remember a former cybervet (a specialist) saying that some dogs tolerate it, some don' t, so I guess the american viewpoint might be to take no chances. Having said that, they do seem to have various ideas that aren' t, let' s say, entirely compatible with local ones...  -)

Reply to Chill