Posted by: Chantal | 2009-09-02

How much?

How much exercise is too much?

I' m 27 years old and 1.52m tall and in January this i weighed 77kg. Thats when i decided that i had to do something about it and my first reaction was becming more physical. In January i joined a mixed martial arts class. These classes are very challenging and take place twice a week for an hour, sometimes more. In addition i go to the gym 4 times a week. So now i exercise Monday to Saturday for about an hour a day. I' ve lost a bit of weight and am now down to 66kg.

I also work and study. And i find that i am constantly tired. Do you think i' m exercising too much or too little or could it be something else?

Hi Chantal

Everyone has a different limit for training and so there's no such thing as a specific amount of training that is "too much". However, the fact that you're tired all the time suggests you may be over yours. Of course, exercise is only part of your life, and so it might be that your training is fine, but the rest of life is busy and you're working too hard, sleeping too little etc. The trick is to balance the training with everything else, and it sounds like you are doing a lot outside of training.

Therefore, I think it would be helpful to back off the training a little, for a while, and see if it helps your fatigue. If it doesn't, then maybe diet, other factors relating to work or study are in play. However, if the exercise helps, then you've found the solution. Maybe you need to look at diet plus exercise, and make sure you've recovering enough between training days.

Posted by: C | 2009-09-03

Hi Chantall, from one martial arts enthusiast to another, I don' t think it is the very demanding classes and your gym training that' s causing the fatigue. You should, in fact, feel more energetic. I, also, don' t think an hour a day, six days a week is not too much exercise. It is probably your diet that' s lacking in some way (and maybe not enough rest/sleep) , but fitness doc will shed some light on this.

Reply to C