Question
Posted by: Ash | 2010/10/06

how many times?

hi, i want to lose 5kgs and i started jogging 30 minutes, 3 times a week. and this guy tell me that i dont exercise enough. im 26 yrs so he said a girl my age should run 1hr, 5 or 6 times a week. and also do other exercise for 30 minutes afterwards. which means 1 hr ,30 minutes per day, 5 times a week. and he said my exercise routine is for old people not for a 26 yrs old. is he right? i cant run for longer than 30 minutes? whats a girl to do?

Hi Ash

1 hour a day, 6 days a week is a lot. There are not many people, guys or girls, who do that. The general guideline is 45 minutes to 60 minutes a day, five days a week, but that's accumulated training time. So if you can do another 2 days of even 30 minutes, then you're almost there.

It's important to understand that you can't just go in at the top, so to speak. Your body needs time to adapt and if you followed this guy's advice, you'd guarantee yourself an injury. So you're exactly right at the moment, and now it's just a case of gradually increasing. You can add 15 minutes to your runs, but increasing their length by 5 minutes a week for a few weeks, or you can add that 4th day in a few weeks, then a fifth day. But you must do it gradually, else you will be injured.

Eventually, your goal is maybe to do 2 or 3 runs of 40 minutes, one of maybe 30 minutes, and one or two of closer to an hour. But that's a goal, not a requirement, and try not to worry about his advice, I have a feeling he's flexing his metaphorical muscles when he gives out that advice!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Hi Ash

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc