Question
Posted by: Bella | 2009-10-01

How many kilojules per day

Hi Diet Doc

I need to know how many calories/kilojules I should be eating a day. I am 26, weigh 100kg' s and am 1.5m.
I need to lose about 30-35 Kg' s.
I am afraid I may be eating too many kilojules or too few.

Also I would like to know if eating carbs at night (potatoe, whole wheat bread) are bad if you are trying to lose weight?

Thank you for your time.

Dear Bella
If you are so overweight (with a BMI of 44,4) then it is essential that you reduce your energy intake down to approx. 1000 kcal or 4200 kJ per day. If you need to lose more than 30 kg, then I would recommend that you discuss the option of using Xenical with your dr. Xenical stops you from absorbing fat from the foods you eat so this automatically lowers your energy intake (each gram of fat you don't eat, saves you 37 kJ!). You should use Xenical with a very-low-fat diet to get the best results and also start exercising when you have lost some weight. You could use the Xenical to get you started on the right track and then just stick to the low-fat diet and steadily increase how much and how long you exercise. If you need assistance with a very-low-fat diet it may also be a good idea to see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If this diet plus the Xenical also does not work, then you may have to consider a gastric bypass. I would recommend that you contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose.
I hope that you can find a method that will assist you to lose this excess weight.