Question
Posted by: Fee | 2010/09/29

How many kilojoules per day??

Morning Doc

I am a 33 year old female, height 1.50m and weigh 51kg. I would like to know how many kilojoules am I allowed to take in per day and the amount I would need to take in per day in order to lose a few kg (at least 3). I know that I should try to follow a healthy diet and exercise but I am a slave to our indian foods. During the day is not too bad but at supper time I cant cut down on our curries and rice. Exercise is also a tough one as I am a full time employee, study part time and have two kids, so dont have much time to exercise. But I really would like to lose some weight as I am feeling really depressed about my weight recently and do realise that I need to make changes soon for my own good.
Thanks.

Dear Fee
Seeing that your present BMI = 22,7 which is just slightly above the ideal of 22, there is really no need to go on a diet or to lose weight. Your Indian foods can be used to put together an excellent diet, just cut down on fats and oils, but by all means eat plenty of curried vegetables, salads, yoghurt and brown rice with lean meat and/or fish (if you eat the latter two foods). Although it may take some organising, I would recommend that you try doing at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Just by buying a skipping rope and skipping every day you can fit your exercise into a busy schedule without having to take time off to go to a gym. Start slowly for about 10 min a day and work up until your are skipping fast for 30 min/day. The exercise will firm and tone your body and may lead to a loss of the odd kg.

1

Dear Fee