Posted by: A | 2009-02-25

How many kilojoules a day

I' m 24, female, 1.62m and weigh 52kg. I' d like to lose 4kg, but I have an office job and don' t get much opportunity for exercise. Given my sedentary job, how many kilojoules should I be eating each day to lose 0.5kg a week? I normally eat oats for breakfast, an apple or pear to snack, soup or salad for lunch, another fruit and then a big dinner (like macaroni cheese or stirfry) with my family. I' m also a bit of a chocoholic.

Dear A
Seeing that your present BMI = 19,8 which is below the ideal of 22 for which you would have to weigh 57 kg, I don't understand why you want to lose another 4 kg. This would give you a BMI of 18,3 which is far too low and bordering on anorexia. You do not need to lose weight so please stick to eating at least 8400 kJ per day otherwise your weight could decrease into the undeweight range which is not desirable. By all means do some exercise even if you just climb the stairs at work for 10 min a day or skip at home for 30 min every second day, but don't force your body to lose more weight.