Posted by: Jessica | 2010-01-25

How many calories should I burn?

Hi doc, I' m 23 years old and weigh 59kgs and I' m 1.75m tall. I want to get down to 55 kgs. The diet doc doesnt seem to think Im eating too much (I gave her a rough breakdown of what I eat) and I do an hours exercise a day, give or take a few minutes. Not extremely intensive, but enough to sweat. I have an office job and I' m trying to eat 3 main meals (cereal/ toast for breakfast, toast or sandwhich for lunch, normal suppery foods for supper) and 2 snacks (creamy crackers or yoghurt mid morning, crackers at about 3pm). Now should I be doing more exercise (at this stage I really can' t do anymore) or instead of breakfast and maybe the snacks, should I rather drink something like Ensure or something? I' m desperate to lose some weight. I' ve been doing this for about a week. How long until I see results? Am I doing it right?

HI Jessica

You might try to increase the intensity of exercise a little bit, to make more of the time you have available. I don't mean go out and kill yourself, but lifting the intensity, even if it's just for 10 minutes in a session may make a difference.

The timing is also important. You've only been at it for a week and that's not enough time - you're looking at a month to 2 months to achieve real results, so give it time.

Finally, remember that your dinner is often the biggest meal of the day, and that doesn't really help weight loss, you might benefit from a smaller dinner, but increased size of lunch or breakfast.

Be patient and it will come, but it does take time!