Question
Posted by: Lydia | 2010/08/30

How many Calories should I be eating a day

I am trying too loose weight and I have lost 5.5kg already but I have heard conflicting views. Some people say that a woman should only have 1200 calories per day where as if you go and look at what your BMI on Health 24, they say that I should be consuming 1700 calories for my height, current weight and age.

Please can you HELP, what amount of calories should I be consuming a day to loose weight? I am weighing 77.7, I am about 1.65 and I am 39 years of age.

Dear Lydia
Well done for losing those 5.5 kg - that is great and it indicates that you are on the right track. Generally speaking an adult woman should ingest 1500 kcal or 6300 kJ per day to lose weight. Your present BMI = 28,6, so it would be good if you can lose some weight. To get back into the normal range (BMI of 18-25), you need to weigh 68 kg (BMI = 25).

1

Dear Lydia